Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Where the birds hide????
Last Post 28 Dec 2009 04:23 PM by Hillbilly. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BrianUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 Brian
--
18 Dec 2009 09:21 PM

Hello all sorry I havent been to the site in a few months. I do have a question though now that late season upland hunting is apon us. I live in IL and hunt both IL and Iowa, I have found pheaseant and quail tracks in the snow near alot of the cut corn, and the edges of some tall grasses. My question is where do these birds go during the afternoon hours? Is it better to hunt birds early in the morining during winter, or later in the morning? I have been out to Iowa twice this week, and gotten only one rabbit, and one quail. I have seen no other game, yet during November I would flush all types of game, but latly I have not seen much. The land I hunt is public, I dont know if its getting hunted hard, but I havent even seen hens flying in the past weeks. Well it would help alot if someone has any ideas where pheasants hang in the afternoon hours or how I could better hunt these birds during late season.

Thanks again

-Brian Yost

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    20 Dec 2009 05:48 PM
    They are loafing some were. Probable out of the snow were there is a little sun shine or in a shelter belt. or they are in the grass and just running to beat the band try it in the morning in roosting cover. They might also be flying out to private miles away. Good Luck.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    fieldspringersUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 fieldspringers
    --
    27 Dec 2009 04:11 PM

I am looking at 15 inches of snow in my yard.  My dog has about 12 inches of clearance.

Between the lack of birds in this county, and the presence of the snow, I am a little discouraged.

At the start of the season, we had corn everywhere, usually with a harvester stuck in the mud nearby.  About half way through the season, the corn started to disappear, and I found a few.  I even hit a few.  But now, I don't know. 

Fortunately, I have a three bird hunt gift certificate to use at Traxlers Hunting grounds.

BrianUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:15 Brian
    --
    27 Dec 2009 09:21 PM

The snow has messed everyone up in the feild I think, but Im going to go to the feild wensday, and see what I can do. If I get any I'll try to post some pics, but I think its going to be hard work finding those roosters in this weather.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    28 Dec 2009 04:23 PM
    Ya pics are good. See were I hunt the snow makes it better. It pushes the birds down and the coveys get bigger. We don't hardly hunt Pheasants but Chukars, Huns, Ruff Grouse, Valley and Mountain Quail are the main stay and they are plentiful. All public ground.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com