New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Looking for a new pup
Last Post 29 Dec 2009 02:59 PM by Hillbilly. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ChetOUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 ChetO
--
28 Dec 2009 02:36 PM

I am thinking of adding another pup to my clan, and was thinking of going with a Weimaraner or a Drahthaar. Anyone have opinions either way? I would also like breeder recommendations if anyone has some. 

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    28 Dec 2009 05:19 PM
    Why not a GSP? If I had to choose it would be a Drahthaar. Three Devils in Idaho or Cascade in Oregon. And there are more look at gundogbreeders.com.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    ChetOUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 ChetO
    --
    29 Dec 2009 07:45 AM

I have nothing against GSP's but I don't believe they have any trait advantages over my Weim's. Both have short hair and retrieving ducks from icy water is something that makes me nervous with these dogs. This is where I figured the Drahtaar might have the advantage.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    29 Dec 2009 02:59 PM
    The wire hair will holdup better going into cold water and are awesome on upland birds. Griffons are really good to but a little spendy. A pointing lab would work good to. But I'm with you on the cold water and Gsp's.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com