Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
bustin birds
Last Post 14 Jan 2010 09:18 AM by Hillbilly. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
--
31 Dec 2009 01:45 PM

i recently got a new gsp with bird hunting experience, ive hunted him twice now and hunts pretty good. the one problem im having is him getting birdy but not going on point till hes a few feet from the bird, and the birds are busting before i can get there. any ideas?

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    31 Dec 2009 05:49 PM
    How old is he? If he's young he'll get it figured out but don't want to shoot to many busted birds also they might be flushing because of you not him wild birds don't take to being kicked up. On that note maybe the birds are just not holding and it's not the dog. But I bet after awhile he'll get it figured out.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    01 Jan 2010 09:52 AM
    ya your probably right . he's a great dog ed thanks.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    04 Jan 2010 06:31 AM
    I'm with Ed. If it is still an issue for you, in the off-season work him on the whoe post if he is old enough.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    04 Jan 2010 12:16 PM
    I'm with Ed, My dog busted a few at first. Then he taught himself when he got a scent to slow down and tip-tow close to the bird. Now his points are as far 30 feet away. He will catch on time, just get him into lots of birds and he will learn.........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    05 Jan 2010 12:43 PM
    I ran that dog on birds for 2 seasons he doesn't bust birds.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    05 Jan 2010 02:05 PM
    maybe hes used to hunting with other dogs, im going to put him on some planted pigeons this week and see how he holds. ed did you ever whoa break this dog?
    --
    05 Jan 2010 10:34 PM
    He didn't need to be whoa broke.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    09 Jan 2010 09:46 PM
    i put him on 5 planted pigeons today. busted everyone. i think its time to start teaching whoa.
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    13 Jan 2010 08:07 PM
    TC --
    If he's creeping up on birds enough to spook him, I agree with Ed -- shooting them only enforces that he doesn't need to point them because he's being rewarded for busting and "flushing" birds himself.

My suggestion, however, would be to use a remote launcher. Create a boundary about 20 feet around the bird and once your dog moves past a bush, launch the bird. Teach him whoa through the birds, your dog will start to understand that a bird flushing on him means he messed up, and don't fire at it. Force him to stand there and realize he cannot get that bird and by preventing him to retrieve is almost "punishment" because he didn't do his job. What'll happen is that he'll start to be more cautious about birds and start to point them, getting worried that the stronger the scent of the bird, the more likely it is that the bird will flush. I've used this method on puppies and older dogs while training... for some reason this method works and the dogs seem to get it.

Good thing about launchers -- you can always sell them down the road and there's always people looking for a gently used one!

Good luck with your pup!
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    --
    13 Jan 2010 08:24 PM
    I trained the dog on wild birds and launchers he's not used to people walking by him. Me and Bryon are getting it figured out. See I train by a book called Bird Dog by Ben O Williams. It's instinctive gun dog training and in that I don't care if my dogs or dog moves after I get to them because either the birds will get up or the dog will relocate. I don't like a dog to be to steady for the wild birds I hunt they just need to hold point till I get there. And I won't run a dog that don't instictivily back or honor. And I got dogs that run crazy big and have held point for 45 minutes till I got there. I know not everyone agrees with me but I hunt over 100 days a year with my dogs and they flat out find and produce birds for the gun. And face it we're out there to have fun.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    13 Jan 2010 08:31 PM
    Ed --
    Understood. Nothing against you or your training practices, just voicing my opinion as to how I would help a dog point a bird.

Jessica
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    --
    13 Jan 2010 08:34 PM
    Oh no, no biggie just explaining how I do it. I think that everyone has their own way and they all work. I don't have the titled dogs you got and you could probably teach me stuff that I don't know. I got out of the biz and I'm so happy to just do it for fun now.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    13 Jan 2010 09:04 PM
    Off topic real quick, but Ed do you have any GSP puppies still available? I've had a few people calling/e-mailing me asking me if I have any and right now I do not have any litters on the ground from either leased dams or from my boys.

If you have any, that would be great and I'll just start sending some of my people to you.
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

--
    13 Jan 2010 10:38 PM
    free fall, thanks for help. whats a good inexspencive launcher?
    --
    14 Jan 2010 07:11 AM
    I have always been partial to the DT launchers. They run about 200 if you can get them from Gundogsupply.com... I'm sure TBI which is a BIG DT distributor might have them cheaper... they are a more popular launcher and they are built really well. I rolled over three of them when I found out someone was in my dog training cabinet looking for a checkcord for a puppy this past winter while I was snow plowing. Rolled right over all of them with the plow. One was pretty bad and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to work. Turned it on, hit the "nick" bird button, and the launcher activated. I was very relieved that it wasn't broken, the only real damage was the sounding horn for locating the darn thing.

Innotek is pretty good, too. There's also the manual launchers but that would require you to go up, and push the bird out yourself, which wont help your dog.

Jess
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

--
    14 Jan 2010 09:18 AM
    The dt launchers are great I had 3 but a guy ran off with them on a dog deal. If you need stuff like that cheap I can set you up with a whole dealer outfit it'll benefit you and your buddies. I use the launcher as soon as the pup is prey driven and gun conditioned. But I launch the bird when I'm still back from the dog that's why my dogs move up when I go by them. This way they will relocate if the bird moves. or is on it when it is shot. But I don't shot most of the birds and call them back and this way they kind stay steady on the flush. I don't like a dog to run clear across a field chasing a bird that was never hit.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com