Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Molly 6/3/99-1/15/10
Last Post 23 Jan 2010 03:28 AM by LuciaLab. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dogpowerUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:60 dogpower
--
15 Jan 2010 10:58 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false ontGrowAutofit/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.4in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --><!--[if gte mso 10]>

Shortly after I started up our hunting preserve I heard about a guy that was trying to get rid of a 10 month old yellow lab.  A well pedigreed dog with a couple months of pro training, but her trainer told the owner that the dog was a knot-head and would need several more months of training and still might not amount to much.  The guy didn’t want to put any more money into her and was going to start over with another pup.

At the time I only had one hunting dog and the demand for guided hunts was increasing.  I didn’t have time to start a new pup myself, so I decided to take a look at this one.  He dropped her off so I could evaluate her for a few days before committing to taking her.  That afternoon I grabbed my gun and took her out to the field to find out what kind of a knot-head I was dealing with.   Within 15 minutes she kicked up three pheasants and made perfect retrieves on the two that I downed.  My gun barrel hadn’t cooled off yet when I was on the phone to let the guy know, before he had a chance to change his mind, that Molly had a new home.

And so began our life with Molly as a family member.  In the house she was a real sweetheart, always on the lookout for someone’s idle hand to scratch her ears.  If she thought she was unfairly being ignored, she would stare at you with her big brown eyes and puff out her cheeks like a blowfish.  In the field, she became the old pro, impressing hunters with her ability to work a line and produce shootable flushes, then follow up with excellent marks and retrieves.

She was great with youngsters, both kids and pups.  There are plenty of young hunters that shot their first pheasant on one of the many youth hunts that Molly worked.  She also helped many young pups learn the ropes in the field and never had a problem yielding a downed bird to the pup so they could think it was their own retrieve.

The only problem I ever had with Molly involves the amount of money she cost me in tournament entry fees.  I became involved in hosting tournaments in a well know hunting series and as a courtesy, I entered her in a tournament at another club in the series.  I had never competed in a tournament before and was up against a lot of seasoned veterans, so my expectations weren’t very high.  Much to my surprise we took fifth place and would have taken second if I hadn’t missed an easy shot.  Thus began a several year run at tournament hunting and if my shooting ability was half as good as Molly’s hunting ability, you’d be watching us on TV.

Molly gave us a couple litters of fine puppies which are now lighting up the hearts of their own families.  The ones we kept, Tyke and Snowball (who was born deaf) are continuing Molly’s tradition of impressing hunters in the field and competing for their fair share of attention in the house or clubhouse.

Early this winter I noticed that Molly was starting to slow down a bit, which can be expected of a 10 year old dog.  Recently the slow down became more pronounced and she began losing her appetite.  I took her to the vet for some blood tests and the results came back this morning.  There was something to be concerned about and they wanted me to bring her in for x-rays, which indicated a tumor.  They opened her up to remove it, but discovered cancer spreading throughout her internal organs.  The dreaded decision to say our final good-byes was made.

Molly will be missed and we are grateful for every moment of constant pleasing that she blessed us with.

Molly and Tyke returning from a training session

Dinner time

A little mother-daughter chat

TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    16 Jan 2010 10:27 PM
    sorry bud. i no how that feels. im still trying to replace my first gsp that i owned. none seem to compare. at least you have pups from her!
    markvanUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:27 markvan
    --
    17 Jan 2010 12:00 PM
    Saying good-by to good friends (good dogs are GREAT friends) see you on the other side is very hard and tear filled!
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    18 Jan 2010 12:01 PM
    dogpower, I'm sorry for your loss.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    18 Jan 2010 06:52 PM
    I am very sorry to hear that Dogpower, My deepest condolences.
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    Tarheel BlueUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:105 Tarheel Blue
    --
    21 Jan 2010 11:53 AM
    DP, great story and tribute to Molly. She was fortunate to have you as her master, as the original owner obviously didn't know what he had or cared to invest the time, love & patience it takes to develop a bond between dog and man. I can certainly sympathize with you, as most of us have had to let go of a 4 legged companion at one time or another in our lives and I can appreciate how difficult that was for you and your family.

I like to believe that one day God will allow us to be reunited with our dogs and they will be there at the Pearly Gates, recognizing us right away and wagging their tails frantically as we approach!

TB
    "I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told and I win where I fight." - General George S. Patton
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    21 Jan 2010 01:37 PM
    I'm really sorry for your loss.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    21 Jan 2010 04:58 PM
    R.I.P. Molly... may every flush be a rooster
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
    --
    23 Jan 2010 03:28 AM

Andy,

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of Molly.  Molly will have a place in my heart also, since she was the dog you selected to show Lucia the ropes at her first training season.  I still to this day remember watching Molly flush birds with Lucia hot on her tail just watching how it is done.  I know she will be missed at Hillside Springs but she will not be forgotten.  I still dread the day that I will have say good bye to Lucia and she is only 2.  Rest in Peace Molly.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com