Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Tis the season to buy guns
Last Post 14 Oct 2010 09:45 AM by DoubleGun. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
--
04 Feb 2010 06:45 PM

I just got 2 new guns well actually 3. 1 is a custum left handed 375 h&h mag it has all the bells and whistles. 2nd a 280 rem Herington and Richards 26" barrel (tack driver). 3rd is a henry's lever action 22 sweet little toy. And on Monday I'll be getting a new 10/22. So has anyone else got any new guns?

Life's Short Play Hard
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    04 Feb 2010 09:20 PM
    I WISH . I ACTUALLY JUST TRADED A COUPLE FOR A SWEET DOG! MAN HE'S COOL!
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    05 Feb 2010 06:54 AM
    Hillbilly, it's good to see your letting grass grow under your feet!

Nice little arsenal you've got started. I'm assuming you're a lefty?
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    05 Feb 2010 08:20 AM
    TCJACK that was a good trade for both I think. Gave the 870 to my brother in law. Ya Pork I'm a lefty and I just started shooting left handed rifles a couple years ago now that's all I shoot. I figured after getting rid of my dogs I had to spend money on something so guns were my choice. Just got a new house to. Well I got it for the wife. Life is looking really good now for me. I hope all is well with all of you. Started training my daughters pup she say's it's both of ours to share. But the pup knows I have treats in my pockets so she'll follow me everywhere. It's kinda weird just having 3 dogs but also really nice for the stress level. Going on a Mom and Dad weekend without kids tomorrow. Planning on getting a new fly tying kit used to love tying fly and now I have time to do it. I wish you all the best.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    05 Feb 2010 12:32 PM
    Good boy Ed, I have some very fond memories of family fishing. We had a lake cabin in Northern Minn. That the family called "Ma's Happy Home". I think that will give you the idea of how great it was for us. I hope you get some from your fishing trips with the family........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    --
    05 Feb 2010 01:32 PM
    I got a camp trailer to. It's going to be a great summer.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    08 Feb 2010 03:25 PM
    Yep! Just got a Savage/Stevens 28ga... it's got some nice dark walnut on it and a relatively nice engraved gold pheasants on the side. Light-weight, I look forward to taking this into the woods next fall!
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    --
    08 Feb 2010 04:42 PM
    A buddy of mine is getting one in a 20ga for his boy.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    09 Feb 2010 05:41 PM
    FFG, I hope you are a true 28 gauge fan. I love my 28 and it does some good things for me.........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    10 Feb 2010 10:31 AM
    What are the advantages of a 28 guage over a 20 guage? I dont much about the 28.
    --
    10 Feb 2010 11:30 AM
    A 28 will everything a 12 gauge will do. But you have to remember you don't have 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 ounce of shot. You have to be more precise with the 28 for you have only 3/4 of an ounce of shot. They are trying bastardise the 28 by upping the shot load, 5/8, 7/8 and 1 ounce, which I don't approve of. The fun of a 28 is it is nice light gun to tote around, mine weigh in at 6.4 pounds. They will drop most any birds you shoot at if you are a good shot. Some will say the 28 is the hardest hitting gun they have seen. I'll have to admit there are times I think the same thing. But you cannot change the laws of Physics. So it just isn't true. I find this very hard to put into words, they swing like a dream, come up fast, very little recoil, but you have a wide range of shells to choose from. 1200-1300 fps with stops every 25 fps. There are even some slower which I have never tried. I love my 28 and I shoot it much as I can. I even shoot Trap with it. I reload 7.5 shot 1200 Fps made with Universal powder. It is truly like shooting a powder puff gun..........Bob
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    15 Feb 2010 07:53 AM
    Yep, just as Bob said. Only difference is amount of shot in the shells, weight, and recoil. Recoil is off-set by the weight of the gun and the type of load, it all goes hand in hand.

Bob -- the 28 is wonderful. Since I work at a trap and sporting clays club, I took the liberty of taking it out to test our new course this week, as I set the course up here. (We are required the shoot the stations... my thought on the matter is, if a C class clays shooter like myself can shoot the course with ease, an A class should do better! But then again... Some clays shooters are glorified trap shooters who want to walk through the woods, versus us hunters that want it for the enjoyment... haha)... shot a 34/50 with it. I was amazed at the low recoil and the easy motion of the follow through. Too light for me though, I'm so used to my 20ga and the weight... I over swung on most, but so far it is a good gun with lots of promise.

I reload my 20ga and 12ga with GreenDot, however I'm debating switching over to International Clays... 7/8oz for all the loads (I have suffered from many concussions in the past, the less recoil, the better).
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    --
    15 Feb 2010 08:14 AM
    I love the 28ga don't own one any more but will again soon. Those little guns shot right with the 12ga. I've killed wild roosters with ease with my old one. And for Grouse there is nothing better.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    15 Feb 2010 02:27 PM
    FG, I would check into Universal it is a far more versatile powder.My son had a car accident and he is looking for nice light shooting loads. So i have been doing a lot of checking for him........Bob
    chieftpUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 chieftp
    --
    10 Sep 2010 01:16 PM
    I just picked up a new O/U 12 ga J.P. Sauer & Shon sterling elegance. It is a beauty, its actually only imported by Sauer It's made by Caesar Guerini, it has a gold single selective trigger, vented rib barrels, electors, very detailed engraving and really nice wood. Can't wait to get it to the range and see if I can hit anything with it tonight. Also have added two new pistols to the collection, a new Firestorm (Bersa) 22 semiauto & a Turis PT145 semi auto 45. New toys are fun.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    13 Sep 2010 06:20 AM
    Chief, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice gun, but I'm not familiar with it. Can you post a pic?
    chieftpUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 chieftp
    --
    16 Sep 2010 12:48 PM
    Pork, I actually was a member on here for a while I have been away for a little bit when I tried too long back in it said name didn't exist so I just resigned back up. I would normally post a pick on here but I am in the middle of a large remodel project on my house and my computer is packed away. When I need to take a break I use my phone to get on line. I know there are a few places on line that have some nice picks of the gun, if you search for J.P. Sauer Sterling elegance you can find it, maybe you can help me out with posting some picks until I get finished putting everything back together. If not I will get some posted as soon as I get it back up and running.
    --
    17 Sep 2010 06:20 AM
    Well then welcome back to the forum. Good luck on your remodeling. Being in the construction industry (and just having gone through a remodel at our office) I can relate to living in a construction zone. No fun. But, the end product is worth it.
    I'll see what I can do regarding a pic, but I don't want to cut/paste something that is copyrighted. Regardless get us something when you have a moment and can find you computer again!
    DoubleGunUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:11 DoubleGun
    --
    14 Oct 2010 09:45 AM
    I have my eye on a Ugartechea sxs in .410!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com