Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Pheasant hunting South Dakota opening week.
Last Post 10 Mar 2010 11:04 PM by UGUIDE. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
John SewardUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:5 John Seward
--
05 Feb 2010 03:12 PM

I am thinking about planning a trip to hunt pheasants in South Dakota during the opening week of the pheasant season.I will be driveing from Ohio and will be hunting public hunting areas and Walk on hunting areas.I have never hunted South Dakota before and was wondering what type of hunting pressure that I would run into hunting these areas? I was wondering if there would be enough hunting ground to hunt with the other hunters hunting the opening week? Thanks

Foremost MediaUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:97 Foremost Media
    --
    11 Feb 2010 11:43 PM
    John,

Personally I would wait until the second or third weekend. Most of the time the corn is up on the first weekend and lots of hunters. If you wait till the corn is down I think you would have better luck and less hunters.
    kolsonUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:9 kolson
    --
    01 Mar 2010 09:31 AM

John,

I would agree with waiting until the second or third weekend only if your 100% set on hunting walk-in/public lands. There will be A LOT!! of hunters and the birds will know this! They are not stupid and will run...hide...and do everything they can not to fly. If you would like to have a more productive hunting experience it would probably be useful to look into hunting private ground....your more likely to bag your limit and have an all around better hunting trip. We actually take people out at our family farm and we raise hunting dogs so we have a lot of experience with this...also this way it's easier for you to decide a time to go hunting....if you would be interested feel free to call me and maybe you could join up with some of our hunters.....605-770-6781..... Kelly

UGUIDEUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 UGUIDE
    --
    10 Mar 2010 11:04 PM
    Posted By John Seward on 05 Feb 2010 04:12 PM

I am thinking about planning a trip to hunt pheasants in South Dakota during the opening week of the pheasant season.I will be driveing from Ohio and will be hunting public hunting areas and Walk on hunting areas.I have never hunted South Dakota before and was wondering what type of hunting pressure that I would run into hunting these areas? I was wondering if there would be enough hunting ground to hunt with the other hunters hunting the opening week? Thanks

John, I would even consider waiting until first few weelks in Nov.  Temps cool down, corn starts coming out and hunting pressure is way down.  Most corn is not ALL out until Thanksigiving week.  The hunting overall was really frustrating the first few weeks to to slow corn harvest.

Chris - UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting - www.uguidesdpheasants.com
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com