Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Another e collar question
Last Post 04 Apr 2011 04:52 AM by JoshT. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
--
08 Apr 2010 10:49 AM

Got my Sport Dog e collar the other week and Im just about ready to start using it since the dog's been wearing it to everyday to play for some time now.  Im still confused with two things though:  The dvd that came with it said to teach the "heel" command along with the collar.  The guys in the training dvd were all duck hunters with labs.  If I train my GSP to heel when we walk, I fear it might affect him in the field searching out pheasant and quail, am I correct, or will the dog understand the difference between walks and hunting?  Also, it wasn't made clear when to use the beep on the collar.  Im guessing right before the shock so I can condition the dog that the beep is a warning before the correction, am I right or wrong on this?  Sorry for the questions, but I trust most of the opinions I get on this forum.. thanks in advance.

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    09 Apr 2010 06:19 AM
    Heal is a basic command that all dogs should yield too. Regardless if it's a pointer or a flusher. The biggest difference that I've seen is that a good portion of the flusher crowd likes their dog to sit when you have stopped walking and pointers will typically keep their dogs standing. For the safety of the dog, hunting group and minimize potential premature bird flushing, teach your dog to heel.

Oh and regarding the DVD, you don't need an e-collar to teach heel. As a matter of fact, an e-collar should not be used to teach these things. An e-collar should be looked at as an extension of a check chord or any other yard work apparatus. Do the time on the yard work first (and at close proximity with your dog) and then work up to the longer distances with the e-collar. Remember, I'm not a trainer so take this for what it's worth.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    12 Apr 2010 01:25 PM
    Not a trainer either, but I agree with P&B. I think of the e collar as a way to reach out some distance and "tap them on the shoulder" In order for that to work, the dog must know exactly what you want when that command is given, through lots and lots of time in the yard. If the dog does not know what to do solidly on the check cord, don't do it on the e collar.

BigRoosterUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:24 BigRooster
    --
    14 Apr 2010 12:34 PM

He's been trained on the chord and knows the vital commands.  Im definately skipping the "heel" command though.  I feel "come" and "stay" are enough and really dont want him confused and walking by my side in the field.  He's always been a great dog, but the collar helped fine tune his problem areas.. great investment and the dog has been doing awesome.

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    15 Apr 2010 06:22 AM
    The heel command is for more than walking in the field. I use it for the time between the truck and the field (especially if there is a road or farm I'm crossing through), walking in the neighborhood when I need to have control of my dog, etc.

Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    16 Apr 2010 08:33 AM
    Good point. I have time to teach that over the summer and probably will. Thanks.
    optimus primeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 optimus prime
    --
    01 Aug 2010 09:20 PM

I use my collars for all commands including heel.  A dog that can heel is usually a dog that is disciplined and in control.  The only thing I would be cautious of is using the collar for heel before the dog really understands the command and can perform the command.  If you aren't careful you will have a dog that runs to you so he/she can heel when you may have used the command whoa, hup, sit, ect.  You don't want to teach the dog that a zap from the collar means heel and only heel. A nick from the collar should be used only in reinforcement not in teaching.  Good luck and have fun with your dog.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    20 Aug 2010 03:50 PM
    Well I guess you guys got this one handled I been busy and haven't posted for awhile. I will add i don't teach my young dogs to heel. I wait for a bit till they get the other stuff down. I will say I've never used a collar to do it. But like Pork said it comes in really handy in alot of situations like loading and controlling your dog.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    JoshTUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:8 JoshT
    --
    04 Apr 2011 04:52 AM

I feel it is important to beep before a correction. Also use the lowest setting for the shock unless you

need to go higher.

Josh

www.trophytimegundogs.com

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com