Free Shipping when you Spend $125 in our Store
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
pigeons for training
Last Post 02 May 2010 12:44 PM by Hillbilly. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
captnikonUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 captnikon
--
15 Apr 2010 06:17 PM

Hl Mike here, Im going to be using pigeons to train my dog . A friend of mine has racers and some ground rollers he said he'd give me in order to clean out his old pigeons  The ground roller don't fly  but will sit till approached then begin to run and roll would these be ok to use in my training ?

freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    16 Apr 2010 11:57 PM
    Real quick:

How old is the dog?
    What level of training is it at, if any?
    What kind of dog are you going to be training?

This will help me answer the question you stated above.
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    captnikonUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 captnikon
    --
    01 May 2010 09:21 AM

Hi and thanks for the reply . My dog is 3 months he's trained to sit ,come, stay and starting to train to heal. I'm told that at 6 months i can start the bird training so I'm getting things in order to have what i need to use in training and viewing some bird training videos i saw the use of pigeons and as i was saying a friend of mine has the ground rollers and was wondering if i should have those also for training   thanks again Mike

freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    01 May 2010 10:29 PM
    Anywhere between 5-6 months you can start. I typically tell clients to enjoy their puppies and worry about the training until they are 6 months. I would stop using sit for right now, because he might start to "sit on point". You can always teach "sit" later when the puppy is older. I've heard some good things and bad things about Rollers. Some say they are really good for working on steadiness work (especially if you are looking at doing NAVHDA Utility or AKC Senior/Master hunter). However, with a puppy, I would STAY AWAY from these birds! It doesn't teach the puppy anything other than it can catch them. I'm assuming this puppy is a pointing breed? If so, purchase the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish videos. Should be able to help you with everything for a first time trainer/hunting dog owner.

Use what you can, join a local club in your area and go out to their training days. More people can give you advice, but it is up to you to put it to use with the pup.

I personally use launchers with pigeons on my puppies, and it can create the results you want FAST. Puppies learn to point within days, if you do get a launcher, make sure it is remote and then you can always resell them. DO NOT snap the launcher while your dog is over it, you will create a bird shy puppy very quick. Put any wings away now, it was cute when your pup was 11 weeks to see him point bird pieces. This will only instill his "sight point" and he will never develop a good solid point because he will always want to "see the bird", thus meaning him going in on roosters while hunting and equalling you having nothing more than a flushing breed. Develop the pointing first, and then work on the added "extras" that come with a bird dog.

Good luck!
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    02 May 2010 12:44 PM
    Looks like you got this 1 Freefall.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com