Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Any new pups
Last Post 10 May 2010 06:33 AM by Porknbeans. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
--
30 Apr 2010 08:39 AM

So is any one training a new pup. I got 1 GSP that I'm training for my daughter and a Griffon for myself. And then this summer I got a GSP and an EP coming. Got out of the dog business now I'm just doing it for me and the family. Got a couple dogs that I'm going to train for people but never again at the level I used to. Sure would like to see some pics and here some stories if anyone has any questions there are some good guys on here that usually can help.

Life's Short Play Hard
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    30 Apr 2010 09:17 AM

I was just wondering the same thing.

I currently have a Weim that is with me for another two-three weeks. She has been here since February. Here's her YouTube video. She is steady to shot and retrieves to hand. Very lovely dog. Very soft, too, and cannot be touched on point to prop her tail up. Oh well, how she points is how she points and I would rather not change it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-Mu7Wp5Fc

Trying to help an owner get a SH on his lovely Gordon Setter bitch. I think you'd like her, Ed. Style to boot and desire to spare! I wish more show setters looked and hunted like this one!

However, I am booked SOLID through the summer. It's amazing what warm weather does and people looking to train puppies for the fall or get older dogs more finished for testing. Wisconsin is full of people looking for trainers, I have to turn people away weekly because I just don't have the room or time here for more than 3-4 dogs at a time. I mean, I have my two dogs that both now only need 1 leg of MH, so I am busy with those two right now but that still means I'm working anywhere from 5-6 dogs in a day... add that up between school and my "real job". I think you know as well as I that being out in the field working dogs is probably much more fun than any desk job.

Birds have been a BIG issue up here though, too. If you don't have pigeons or birds on your property, you're done. I'm starting to run into that problem because I have to go out of my way to buy quail that wont be ready until May 21. I have pigeons but I like to shoot quail over pigeons, after all, when will I be Pigeon hunting?

Did you place the puppies you were looking for homes for? I am currently trying to help my breeder place a litter of NICE gsp puppies. The one bitch in the litter is gorgeous. I'm debating buying her for myself. If you know of anyone looking for a nice quality GSP puppy that should hunt it's ticking off, could you send them my way?

Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    30 Apr 2010 11:19 AM
    Ya the best place to move dogs is on gundogsonline.com they got free and paid advertising and the free is as good as the paid. nice looking Weim. i get 1 of those pups but I got a gsp comin from Black Point this July the sire throws 40 yard points. He is a grouse hunting machine. I sold my best dog and now I'll have to find a new one. I trained so many dogs last year I couldn't tell you how many if it wasn't for the reciepts. I'm getting a Honky Tonk Attitude line bred EP this summer to talk about style if you have seen one goto maplemountainkennels.com and look they are beautiful. Wish I lived closer I'd come give you a hand I don't train for hunt test but can mostly gundogs. Looks like it is oing to be a good year for birds here. Why don't you just do your own Quail get a 500 egg incubator some brooder boxes and then you wouldn't have to mess with buying them. Birds were hard to find here till a week ago now I have them comin out my ears. Oh forgot to tell you gettin a Griffon pup this weekend to he's out of my old stock slick coated lil guy.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    30 Apr 2010 11:33 AM
    yeah, I've posted them on gundogbreeders.com... I have had a good 300-400 hits in the past two months of it being up. Have some stuff posted at some gun clubs up here, too. Figured that's a good place to put some good hunting dogs up. I've seen pictures of dogs out of Honky Tonk Attitude, the crank on some of those pups are NICE. I am jealous! Most of my clients and their dogs are just gundogs, which is nice knowing that people are still very active in hunting. I would say about 70% of all the people I train for do testing, the other 30% is pure hunting dogs. I've thought about doing my own quail. Placing a surrogate bird restoration thing on the property and having a wild population to work with, would defeat the use of not-so-good flying pen raised birds and launchers. I have incubators sitting around in the shed from when my folks raised some finches when I was younger. Now they just take up space... might just have put them to use! Not to mention they don't look too hard to build, so who knows. So many possibilities on birds. A griffon pup? Did you by chance place a WPG in Oswego, IL? I know I will be working with a WPG pup in August for a month or so. After a long and dull winter, it is nice to have some dog training to start the summer up.
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    --
    30 Apr 2010 12:08 PM
    No I didn't place one there. Griffons are great but I like more style they train easy or they train hard just depends on the dog no in between. Plus I like a dog that runs bigger 150 to 200 yards in open cover 60 to 80 in thick cover the one's I was breeding would do it but most don't. Those Honky Tonk dog are awesome even as pups they do it all had 1 at 10 weeks backing points. When they hit their bird they slam right up but they are alot of dog and most people can't handle that much dog. Oh I started building a dog haulin trailer have to post pics of it from start to finish. The gsp pup my daughter has was out of my stock and man is she stylish 7 months old points, backs and retrieves darn nice pup. Training her with my daughter so she does it all for her pretty fun to watch make her look like a pro she's almost 12 but she can handle a dog. What birds do you got there to hunt. We got Chukars, Huns, Mountain and Valley Quail, Ruffed and Blue Grouse, Sage Grouse, and Pheasants all wild don't hunt pen raised very often maybe once every couple years and our season is 5 months long. A guy or gal can almost get wore out from all the hunting.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    30 Apr 2010 07:59 PM
    Yeah, I have noticed the same with Weims too. Many are VERY hard to break of pouncing and tearing into birds or some you really need to bring the talent out. My one dog runs big at about 100-150, whereas my other dog is about 50-70. I guess it depends on the dog I want for the morning. As long as they put up birds I'm happy! Yes, you will have to put up pics of that trailer. I'd love to see your take on it. I've seen some really nice ones and I've seen some really bad ones. I'm really liking the Fineline Trailers. Some very nice steel work put into those.

You will also have to take some pictures of that GSP pup! I'd love to see her. As for birds? We have pheasant, bobwhite quail (western part of WI), Hun Partridge, Woodcock, Ducks/Geese and Ruffed Grouse. I do a lot of duck hunting and dove pass shooting with my dogs too. This past year we got the rare treat of being able to "flock shoot" them like quail. The puppy would lock up on point and just as I would catch up to him they would all hit the sky. They would be eating thistle in this field by the house. It was pretty neat. Limited out a few times during the year. Dove is pretty good eating when done right. I'm looking at doing a lot more grouse and duck hunting this year, didn't get to do a whole lot last year. I cannot believe it is already May as of tomorrow... only four more months of training and then hunting on wild birds!
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

--
    01 May 2010 12:12 PM

Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    01 May 2010 12:23 PM
    There she is 7 months old weighs in at 25lbs top side of pedigree is Riverwoods crossed with Rawhides Clown bottom side is linebred Heide's Mighty City Slicker with a touch of Rawhides Clown. She is fast and snappy with lots of style but hunts close quarters like a dream in Grouse cover. As for the trailer it is going to have 6 holes no storage except a top rack, the box it self will be 3/4" ply wood then we will paint it with bed liner and put the diamond plate on. The chasie is a boat trailer they have great springs and it don't beat up the dogs. Me and my daughter started it last week keepin all the reciepts to see how much I end up into it. Got the chasie for free that helps alot. I used to work for a trailer making outfit and my buddy has a welding shop that I have full access to. It's going to be on 15" wheels so I got clearance for running it hard down through the desert. By using 3/4" plywood for the box you don't need a frame just glue and screw and it's will have full air flow from the 1" holes drilled in all the compartments and the plywood is thick enough you don't need insulation. Once the paint and diamond plate go on it will look store bought. But a quarter of the price.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    01 May 2010 06:39 PM
    Nice looking pup! Riverwood, eh? Which dog(s)? Both of my boys go back to Diane Engelking's stuff in the show ring and lots of the old German lines. Best dogs I own, hands down. Sounds like a good pedigree to me! I'm sure you will be very pleased as she matures!

My "Bizzy", Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck SH is what I've calculated to be at least 60% German. He is Suma's Smokey v Riverwoods NAII x CH Suma's Hot Stuff v Riverwoods. Smokey is the direct son of DC AFC ODYSSEY'S KURZHAAR VON RIVERWOODS. You can find his pedigree below on my signature. He is also linebred DC Hillhaven's Hustler a good 4 times in a 7 generation pedigree.

My other dog, 'Trapper", Suma Kiss of Kings SH is CH Lieblinghaus Chief Executive JH CD x CH Bleugras Kiss of Fire. It isn't until "Kissy" (dam) that we see any German influence from Diane's breedings. Emmanuel v Steinwitten is the only "German connection" in Trapper's pedigree. He has a few Hall of Fame dogs in his pedigree, just in 2008 his sire was inducted, NMK's Placer Country Snowbird SH was also inducted back in his day.

Boat chassies are the best, I built my first one out of one that I got for free from a guy I know that no longer duck hunts. Needless to say a few years of driving to trials, hunting up in northern Wisconsin, etc. It had a few good miles on it and I sold it to an "up and comer" in this area that wanted to start taking their dogs to SD but didn't know where to get a good one for a decent price. Exchanged it for a stud fee for later down the road once I get my hands on a good puppy bitch that I would consider breeding when clearances/titles/proven ability work it's way out. A lot of work, but I hope it is worth it.
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

TCJACKUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:46 TCJACK
    --
    01 May 2010 07:50 PM
    ginger is looking real sharp ed!
    --
    01 May 2010 08:18 PM
    Check out Black Point Gundogs he runs some awesome dogs that's were I'm getting my new stud GSP from.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    08 May 2010 05:50 PM
    Well I got my new Griffon pup he's a ball of fire. I owned both of his parents and man did the cross work. i'll post a pic in the next couple days.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    10 May 2010 06:33 AM
    Good stuff. I look forward to seeing the pics of the new Griff. No new dog for me for a couple years yet.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com