New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
newbee questions
Last Post 11 Jul 2010 10:25 PM by freefallgsp. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Assault ManagerUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 Assault Manager
--
13 Jun 2010 05:13 AM

Friend invited me Geese Hunting.  Completed Hunter Education.  Damaged Shoulders can not handle 12g.  Can I get by with 20g? as I would also like to use for trap?    And what length barrel do I need?  I assume smaller is lighter, so with shoulders I thinking am the shortest that would be doable?  and auto, because even pumping cause pain.  Thanks, all input is appreciated.

BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    13 Jun 2010 11:01 AM
    My son just went through this. He was in a car accident, that causes some of your problems. What he did is get a good automatic shotgun. He got a Browning Silver Hunter 20 gauge, 28 inch Barrels, recoil pad. The only mistake he made is the Silver Hunter will not take a "Shell Catcher" and one cannot be made for it. He needs that shell catcher for shooting Trap. So If you are going to shoot clays make sure your gun has a shell catcher made for it. They only cost about $10.00. I am old and have old age problems. I shoot a Remington 11-87, 20 gauge at Trap. Same 28 inch barrel for a smooth swing. I got the Premier Model and I got a Shell Catcher for it at Wal-Mart $9:00. I must say that 11-87, 20 gauge has less felt recoil than my 28 gauge O/U ........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    13 Jun 2010 12:11 PM
    We shoot geese here with 20ga but you want to make sure you are on them.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    BuckeyeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:31 Buckeye
    --
    14 Jun 2010 12:37 PM
    I would make sure that you get a good gas powered automatic. Inertia drives like the Benelli's still have some bite. Also, look up the limb saver, as that pad is relatively cheap and very good. Between those two items you can probably even fire a 12 gauge, I was amazed what the limb saver did for a pump 12.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    16 Jun 2010 09:06 AM
    You could get away with a 20ga for geese, but as Hillbilly mentioned, you better be right on them. I'd look into some of the other suggestions and try to go to a 12ga. Just my 2 cents.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    BobUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:550 Bob
    --
    16 Jun 2010 02:49 PM
    I disagree, you can get 20 gauge, 1 ounce loads that go out at about 1300 FPS and you can get them shot that will bring down geese. Those in an automatic will not chew up your shoulder. Just don't get a Benelli they have no recoil reduction. Only your gas operated auto's will give the recoil reduction you desire...........Bob
    My Dog And I Are A Team. We Practice Every Day. I Always Trust Tony, He Knows More Than I do.
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    02 Jul 2010 05:07 PM
    Beretta 391 Urika last I checked is gas-operated. I shoot a 12ga in the Beretta 391 Teknys (sister gun to the Urika) and I use the 12 for goose without problem. They make shell catchers for the Beretta 391. About 1700, but it's a nice gun that doesn't fall apart easily.

Only thing I would suggest would be to keep the gas operated guns CLEAN. After 200 rounds of ATA State Trap last year my gun was dirrrrtyyy! Keep some steel wool on hand for the piston area beneath the forestock for cleaning to get the rest of the gunk/excess dirt out. It'll cement up if you let it sit during most of the year if you don't plan on shooting a whole lot. (I figured this out the hard way during the 5-Man State shoot last year. )

Good luck hunting!
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    02 Jul 2010 05:09 PM
    Finding out the hard way always sucks don't it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    11 Jul 2010 10:25 PM
    yes it does.
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com