New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Caring for Pigeons
Last Post 06 Sep 2010 03:13 PM by Hillbilly. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CClaingUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:16 CClaing
--
25 Aug 2010 04:26 PM

I have recently got some homing pigeons and I know very little about taking care of them. I know the basics like food, water, shelter and how to use them for training my dog. I have experience using someone else’s birds. But I am not sure about breeding or if there is any special care they need? I have a good size loft with nesting boxes and I know I have at least 2 males out of 6 birds. Is there any type of bedding (like straw) I need to put in the nesting boxes for them to nest? At what age do they start breeding and is there any type of special supplement I need to give them?  If there is a good web site I could go to get info that would be great or even order supplies? Thank you for all your time!

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    26 Aug 2010 04:55 PM
    Pine needles for bedding throw it on the floor of the loft and they will build nests. I feed hen scratch. I'm not sure on the age that they start breeding but I would guess at around 14 to 16 weeks. Make sure to get some pigeon grit for a supplement.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    CClaingUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:16 CClaing
    --
    26 Aug 2010 06:28 PM
    Thanks Hillbilly! I will do that! I am hoping to get at least 6 babies so I could use them in bird launchers and they fly back to the loft. I cliped the flight feathers of the others and hope they stay around after I let them fly. The are not easy to find.
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    06 Sep 2010 03:13 PM
    No problem. Let me know if your going this way might have to grab a hunt together this year.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com