New Puppy? Check Out the Kennel and Cover Package Deal
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Pheasant Hunting & Dog Safety in SD?
Last Post 24 Sep 2010 11:53 AM by ggburke. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
--
24 Sep 2010 09:45 AM

Hi everyone,

Okay, so normally I am chasing ruffs and woodcock in the woods right about now. But this year I have planned a trip to head to SD for pheasants and maybe sharptails/chickens/quail if I can while I am out there for 4 days. We are leaving Oct 8-12 and I have a bit of a question (we will be hunting in Rosebud lands, hence why we will be hunting before residential opener, they open a week early and non-residents can hunt that weekend versus the second weekend).

Out of all the times people have gone out to SD bird hunting, how is the danger with rattlesnakes during that time? I'm taking my two Master Hunters which finished a few weekends ago and I have invested a lot of time, money, etc. to get them those titles and get them to where they are now. They both have health clearances, etc. because both are going to be used at stud now in the winter and one already has quite a few breedings lined up for 2011. 

I guess you could say I'm asking about the dangers of snakes. I am debating "collecting" and "freezing" one or both dogs before the trip in case one of them gets bitten and I can't save them in time, or if one/both get severely injured while out on the prairie. Call me a little pessimistic (and possibly selfish?), but I'm just looking out for future interests and planning ahead.

So, with all that said... has anyone ever had an issue? Thanks in advance.

Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    ggburkeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 ggburke
    --
    24 Sep 2010 11:50 AM

Pheasant does not open in South Dakota til Oct 16th.

ggburkeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 ggburke
    --
    24 Sep 2010 11:53 AM

Sorry did not read the full post. 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com