Get Free Shipping on Dog Supplies and Upland Hunting Gear
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
How to start pheasant hunting
Last Post 06 Oct 2010 12:12 PM by yarsky10. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
yarsky10User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 yarsky10
--
04 Oct 2010 10:22 PM

My brother and I live on a 300 acre farm in upstate New York and we really would like to start pheasant hunting. We would like to raise maybe 120 pheasants in some empty chicken houses we have on the farm. I guess we would just like some advice on how to raise these, when to release them, where i should buy them, should i raise them?, should i buy the pheasants when they are ready to be released?, any other advice? thanks a lot everyone!

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    05 Oct 2010 07:24 AM
    yarsky10, welcome to the forum. Wow, a lot of questions and I'm afraid I won't be able to answer most of them. But, I will give you some direction (good or bad). Like any animal, in order to survive they need habitat. For this I would start with your local Pheasants Forever chapter. They will be able to give you some direction on where and what to plant in order for your birds to survive and create a succesful hunting experience. There are many locations to get birds, but you also need to learn about what pheasants need to grow versus a chicken. Pheasants are very territorial and need plenty of room as they grow. This includes a place for them to "stretch their wings". You can find good information on the internet or you can try: pheasants.com This is a company in the midwest that raises thousands of pheasants that they ship all over the world. I'm sure they might also be able to help you out with some of your questions. That's about all I got. Sorry it isn't more, but good luck and keep us posted on how you do with your farm. Post pics if you can.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    yarsky10User is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:3 yarsky10
    --
    05 Oct 2010 06:34 PM
    wow that is a ton of great info. thank you so much. Ya i think that we will start in the spring because its going to start getting cold. My local chapter does not have a website. I wonder if there are any government programs that would provide the birds for me. maybe a grand or something? not quite sure. i should talk to the DEC about it. thanks again. I may have to have another little chicken barn for more pheasant. I may talk to people at my local gun club that i plan to join soon and start seriously shooting clays.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    06 Oct 2010 06:48 AM
    If you haven't had any luck with the local PF chapter, ratchet it up and contact nationals. They have a website and a 1-800 number. Tell them you haven't had any luck with contacting the local chapter and they will light a fire under it for you. Good luck.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    --
    06 Oct 2010 12:12 PM
    alright will do. thank you. ill post when all this happens. my family is really supporting us on raising pheasant so it should happen this spring. We will plant some crops that they will like and buy a lot of chicks this spring. thanks for the help once again
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com