Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Where has everyone gone?
Last Post 30 Nov 2010 08:17 AM by grouchyolddude. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
LuciaLabUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:30 LuciaLab
--
08 Oct 2010 03:31 AM

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I have posted on the forum, but I have been checking in often.  I have one big question where the heck did everyone go?  I have not seen a lot of the regulars on here much.  It just seems like we lost a lot of the regular posters ever since the site was improved and updated, the site is a lot nicer, but the traffic is sure down.  I have enjoyed hearing from browndog, dogpower, tarheel and alot of the other guys that posted almost daily if not weekly in the past.  I guess evryone must be staying busy with the daily grind.  Also, I am wondering if we are going to ever have a Gamebirds hunt again, like we did two years ago? 

Hope all is well,

Scott

TroyUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 Troy
    --
    08 Oct 2010 11:08 AM
    I've noticed the same thing, it seems we lost a lot of members after the move. Now it seems if you post something it's hard to get a response. I was hoping it would pick up once pheasant season got closer but it doesn't look like it.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    12 Oct 2010 12:54 PM
    I'm not sure it it's a sign of the economy, changing interests, or something else. I know that my schedule is pretty packed, but I still try to post once in awhile to keep the flow going. There may be a lot of the old timers just lurking and not posting.
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Rem870 DaveUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:63 Rem870 Dave
    --
    13 Oct 2010 06:22 AM
    I guess people don't like change. It is very hard to get any response from anyone out here. The only people who respond to any of my posts are Pork and Hillbilly. I check the forum daily but rarely see anything new posted.

DaveYak
    griffUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:26 griff
    --
    13 Oct 2010 09:42 PM

I haven't been on here for very long, but it seems there is a lack of activity. Sure hope it picks up as the season progresses.

Craig BurrusUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 Craig Burrus
    --
    12 Nov 2010 11:32 PM
    I used to check out the forum every day. I didn't post often, but if I thought I had something to contribute I would. This is the first night in a long time I tuned back in. I was bummed to see I have been kicked back to a pheasant egg again. I was also disappointed to see how little activity is going on.
    I stopped using the forum shortly after the 2008 elections. There was a period where politics and religion kept finding their way into the posts. Some of it crossed some lines. I wrote at least one post asking people to keep it to hunting please. The last straw for me was when I got no response from a mediator when I asked for something to be done about one member who as part of their signature on every post compared the president to Osama Bin Ladin. I tuned into the forum to get away from all the name calling.
    I read a lot of posts tonight and was thrilled to see the forum is back on track with subject matter. I hope the people will come back. I have no idea why others may have stopped participating.
    Got back last night from two days hunting around Othello.
    Flushed 6 roosters
    4 wild flushes (they get smart fast)
    1 would have been unsafe shot.
    1 total handler error resulting in laughing rooster.
    0 in the bag.
    Dog worked well and had lots of fun.
    PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    15 Nov 2010 06:50 AM
    Craig, nice to have you back.

Sounds like you had a nice outing. You may not have brought anything back in the bag, but as we know that's not always the best part of the trip.
    NEHUNTERUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:8 NEHUNTER
    --
    18 Nov 2010 06:40 AM
    Hey guys,
    I have not posted in some time too. Some of you I recognize, others I don't. I was active on the old site but not the new. I think the new site opening versus the old one is just timed with the recession. For me, the economy has hit my free time. I work in residential construction. At work I harder than ever and wear more hats because 30% of my peers have been laid off...but for the grace of god go I... At home I am doing more of the stuff I might have paid someone else to do when the economy was better.
    My Black Lab "puppy" Briar is now 2-1/2 so not quite a puppy anymore although he still acts it at time. Within the next week I'll share a few funny stories about Briar hunting like a puppy. Well... Back to work!
    HogspitUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:49 Hogspit
    --
    18 Nov 2010 02:15 PM
    I am around Just been Very busy. Have Many hunts on the books. I will Try to be better In a Week.
    --
    19 Nov 2010 06:21 AM
    Great to hear from both of you guys.

NEHUNTER, I wish you all of the best at work. I'm on the commercial side of construction (design/build firm) and we are crazy busy in the office but super slow in the field. Unfortunately, we don't make any money unless it's under construction. I look forward to the stories. Good luck with your pup, ehr, adult dog.

Hogspit it's great to hear that the guiding is going well. I'd really enjoy some pics if you have some to share. I know we used to get some posted by you and Tarheel Blue and it would be nice to see some again. Keep doing the voodoo that you do so well!
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    28 Nov 2010 07:33 AM

Well, I've been hanging out at .."another" fezzunt forum. Mostly because of the lack of activity here. But boy are they a hard bunch.. 

(it has been an "ultimate" experience )  They don't like large groups that harvest lotsa' birds, they don't like non-resident hunters, they don't like dogs riding around in trucks without a seat belt, they don't like dogs in hotel rooms, they don't like the way hunters are potrayed on the hunting TV, ect. ect. 

Sound more like a bunch of old women bitching than "hunters"..

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY GUN
    NEHUNTERUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:8 NEHUNTER
    --
    28 Nov 2010 08:57 AM
    Yeah. I don't like all that negative chatter either. Much rather chat with people with lots of different perspectives and levels of experience and from different regions of the country. Makes for a more interesting discussion. For example, I am from the northeast. Pheasant hunting is different here than some other parts of the country in that all the birds are stocked and there is limited open space to hunt them. That makes for crowds where the birds are which can ruin the hunting experience. We find ways to avoid the crowds and get some birds too. We go on a rainy days...especially week days. We go into the thickest nastiest thicket we can. When we do these things we are usually rewarded. I like to hear stories about open fields full of birds out in the midwest. I'd like to go there some time.
    --
    29 Nov 2010 08:13 AM
    Grouchy, good to have you back. I've checked out the "other" forums too. NEHunter, well said.

We may not be the biggest, but we do have a good group. It would be nice to get a little more activity. Tell all your friends about us and let's see if we can't improve that part of the site.
    grouchyolddudeUser is Offline Happy Puppy Happy Puppy Send Private Message Posts:173 grouchyolddude
    --
    29 Nov 2010 08:42 AM

Well, I'm a relative nube to pheasant hunting I guess, err to "serious" pheasant hunting anyway. Six years ago, I got a lab pup out of a guys garage litter for a pet. I gave $25 for him without papers..:p and he was/is a natural. I took him dove hunting as a 10 month old puppy, and he found and retrieved every bird we shot that day. He loved it soooo much, that it encouraged 'me' to broaden my horizons .."He" taught "me" a LOT!
    With virtually 'no' local pheasants, I hooked up with a long time 'big game' hunting buddy with a puppy, and we joined one of the "preserves", a nice/good one, and started shooting pheasants over them.
    I've since hunted my home state CO., KS, and NE. Concentrating mostly on KS. I've hunted in groups of 20+, I've hunted by myself. It's ALL FUN! I like it all! Large groups, driving/pushing game is a proven method. If you want to put meat in the freezer, it works regardless of the game. I limited out both days, opening weekend like this.
    On the other hand, the grandson (11) and I went by ourselves last weekend. Just he 'n I 'n the two dogs. We hunted only public walk in, after a 'high pressure' weekend for the birds I'm sure. We flushed maybe two dozen birds in total, harvested 3 roosters, and had an absolute fantastic time.
    Sounds like tough hunting for you NE'. But, I think the 'crowds' are an issue everywhere early on. Seems like only after Christmas, the pressure drops off here.

--
    29 Nov 2010 08:56 AM
    Posted By Porknbeans on 29 Nov 2010 09:13 AM
    Grouchy, good to have you back. I've checked out the "other" forums too. NEHunter, well said.

We may not be the biggest, but we do have a good group. It would be nice to get a little more activity. Tell all your friends about us and let's see if we can't improve that part of the site.

I have/will P'nB'..   In retrospect, I guess my above post is no less judgmental than some I was complaining about. ... MY bad

I'l be positive now!

--
    30 Nov 2010 06:09 AM
    No worries. I can't remember taking anything you said the wrong way. It's just good to have you back.

As a side note, I made a post on the other forum trying to help out a guy with a Brittany breeder question in Wisconsin. Some guy came back and started putting down my dog because she is way larger than the breed standard (50lbs). He did preface it by saying not to take it the wrong way, but it still stroked me the wrong way. Oh well, I love my dog and she fits right in with the rest of the knuckleheads in my clan.
    --
    30 Nov 2010 08:17 AM

Ahhhh I just don't like the 'negativity'.. "If you can't say something nice".."just keep your hands in your pockets"  (an updated 'twist' to an old analogy )  ...

I actually made a cpl of friends over there. I should be thankful.  

I even took a member from there on his first ever pheasant hunt, here on the game farm.

A great guy. I'll be hunting w/ him again.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com