Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Hillbilly tell us a story
Last Post 10 Nov 2010 04:34 PM by Hillbilly. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
griffUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:26 griff
--
13 Oct 2010 09:48 PM

How about a hunting story to liven up the board.

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    14 Oct 2010 03:38 PM
    Hunting makes coffee taste better in the morning and whiskey taste better at night.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    Rem870 DaveUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:63 Rem870 Dave
    --
    15 Oct 2010 05:04 AM
    Everyone has a dream hunt or goal they are shooting for when they head out into the woods after their favorite game. I hunt in Pennsylvania and the bucks can grow big here but they are far and few in between. My ultimate goal is to shoot a 130 inch 10 point, chances of that happening are slim. I did catch one on my trail camera this year but he is completely nocturnal. Realistically, I will shoot the first mature buck that walks within range of my Diamond Iceman and by mature in PA I mean 3.5 years old (not like those unrealistic hunting shows where they talk about only shooting mature deer being 5.5 or 6.5 years old). Fun fact for you all; the Milo Hanson buck was aged at 3.5 years old when he was shot, I think he was mature! Ok well this isn't much of a story, just me going on about deer hunting. I hunt for meat in the freezer and the thrill of the hunt, I don't have anything hanging on my walls, yet. Except for a eastern turkey fan and beard, just because it looks cool, I did it myself. Gander Mountain sells a nice kit for mounting the fan and beard for $20 and it comes out really nice too. The memories of hunting trips I have taken, I will never forget, hunting will always be a part of my life, it's who I am. I'm a hunter and proud of it.

What about the rest of you guys, any dream hunts, any goals when you hit the field?

DaveYak
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    15 Oct 2010 04:15 PM
    I'm working on getting my to pups going. Got 1 older dog. As most of you know I used to have at least 10 finished dogs on hand at any time and a handfull of pups and started dogs to. But I don't have that life anymore and I am kinda happy about it. The dog business just about ruined my marriage and fianicaly ruined me. So now I am living the real dream just hunting a handful of dogs and spending time with my family. Me and Griff are working on a line of GSP's but keeping it small and fun. Been doing alot of camping and hunting both. My daughter had her first buck tag this year. She missed a 28" muley at 200 yards after a mile stalk and 100 yard belly crawl now that was one of the coolest things I've done in awhile. Kinda been taking it slow this year bird hunting. But plan to start hunting more as winter progress's. Pork is right the economy is really bad. But were I live we all have been broke for years and are kinda used to it. As for any dream hunts. I had it with my daughter and wife deer hunting this year and the fun I had with Griff and his kids was pretty cool to. Plan on doing stuff like that more often. When it come's down to it life is just to short to not enjoy it with friends and family and that's the best part of hunting I think. I had lost touch with that for awhile.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    griffUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:26 griff
    --
    15 Oct 2010 08:41 PM

Goals and dream hunts? I've been very fortunate. I guided big game hunts in Idaho, Colorado and Alaska. I've also had hounds and ran trap line. Seen thing and places that most people won't ever have a chance to. My goals are to share my passion of the outdoors with my children and a few select friends. I don't need to pull the trigger or set a hook. My joy comes from seeing my children fill a tag, catch a fish and hit that grouse their dog points. All I want is to see is some good dog work and a happy kids smile! Have you ever seen the smile on a kids face when he gets that first bird over his own dog, or the first fish caught on a fly they tied them self? Pure joy!

Rem870 DaveUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:63 Rem870 Dave
    --
    18 Oct 2010 09:05 AM
    My boys are still a little too young to be pulling the trigger on anything, but man does my 4 year old love to fish. Every day I have off of work he asks first thing in the morning, "Daddy can we go fishing today?", I love it! It is so great hearing him yelling and laughing as he's catching a fish, has got to be the most fun I have ever had fishing is when he is the one doing all the catching. Of course he wants to keep everything and eat it, he can't get enough. So many kids now days have lost touch with the outdoors and nature, it is a real shame! We have to everything we can to get kids outside and involved!
    Griff I am not sure where you are from but I know Hillbilly is in Oregon, out there in the wilderness, with tons of public land to hunt. That's the biggest problem with the northeast, there is not enough public hunting land to make for an enjoyable time in the outdoors. You have to share with to many people! I am fortunite to be able to hunt on my uncles 200 acre farm, but must people around here don't have that so the hunting traditions are not getting passed down because people don't want to be bothered anymore. They would rather just go the super market for meat and drink beer and watch sports on TV all weekend.
    --
    19 Oct 2010 02:25 PM
    Well I guess we are the only 3 who still go on this forum regularly!

Dave
    --
    19 Oct 2010 09:31 PM

Dave I'm from Oregon also. I live smack dab in the middle of the state. It's about 3 hours to Hillbilly's place from mine. I don't have quite as much open space as he does. Central Oregon has grown a bunch in the last ten years. We still have a few good spots around, but not like it used to be. Keep them kids fishing the rest will follow. I started them fishing then trapping. Next came chasing the hounds and big game. My marriage couldn't take the hounds anymore. Last year we got rid of the hounds and got a couple dogs from Hillbilly. I had bird dogs in the past, but it had been a while. I always liked to hunt grouse but never owned a real good grouse dog. Hillbilly and I had been friends for a few years and he was always telling me what great grouse dogs he had. Finally our schedules worked out and we went grouse hunting. Now when I say grouse hunting I mean hunting!!! No shooting them in the road. All birds have to come from a point. I didn't matter what dog he dropped they held and pointed grouse. We must have hunted over 6 or 7 dogs that weekend. They all flat did it. Well the boys made up their minds. If the hound were going away they wanted bird dogs and they had to come from Hillbilly. We ended up with a pup and a started pup. Both are turning out to be the real deal. If you get a kick out of watching them catch fish just wait till you see them handle a dog. Pure joy!!

PorknbeansUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:542 Porknbeans
    --
    20 Oct 2010 06:35 AM
    Can I be the fourth?
    Porknbeans Grand High Pooba of the Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    CClaingUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:16 CClaing
    --
    20 Oct 2010 02:57 PM

Griff, Hillbilly does have some great dogs I have a gsp pup from the last litter and could not be happier. She is a real nice dog and it's a shame he got out of it but understandable. But Hillbilly if you every have another b/w gsp litter I'll take one in a heart beat! I took my 3 year old nephew pheasant hunting a couple of weeks ago and he loved it. We watch lots of hunting shows and go out every weekend so the kids really don't know any different. Most of the time they can out walk the adults and I am sure if their plastic pop guns could really fire they might out hunt some of us too They have a good time. I live in the Valley and there is lots of places to roam but some of the hunting spots are just not the same as they used to be. Oregon Fish and Wildlife posted a map of public land which has been really nice for finding new hunting spots. I heard chucker is awesome this year in the eastern part of the state. The ducks and geese are coming in like crazy on the coast too. As soon as the deer and elk tags are filled or the season is over my husband, the pup and I will headed to the coast for some waterfowl hunting.

--
    20 Oct 2010 03:20 PM
    I'll be breeding Whiskey this spring or the next and Ginger maybe. My wife has allowed that I get a new male GSP for my and Griff's new venture. We are going to breed pups not for money but for pleasure. Hey Pork you can be the forth.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    CClaingUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:16 CClaing
    --
    21 Oct 2010 10:23 AM
    Keep me posted!!!
    --
    21 Oct 2010 02:43 PM
    I will
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    24 Oct 2010 06:09 PM
    Ok 5 covey"s of valley quail in 3 hours. With my 5 year old boy Big Dan. Had a blast with him and my young female is a bird finder. She is pointing birds at 30 plus yards.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    25 Oct 2010 11:13 AM

That's awesome Hillbilly. We went out yesterday and Piper found us 5 pheasant with in an hour. We only were able to take a shot at 2 of them. We thought for sure it was going to be a bad day because of the natsy weather but it was the best day yet. I wounded one and did not see where it landed but Piper has got some great tracking skills and brought that bird right to me. She is turning out to be a real nice hunting partner. You did a great job with your breeding program. Have you done any chucker hunting yet? We start duck hunting in a couple of weeks when we get back from our elk hunting trip. Wish you all the best of luck.

Here is a picture of yesterday's hunt. Not the best of pictures but I got to show and tell.

--
    26 Oct 2010 02:48 PM
    Nice pic she looks like her mom who is whinning out in the kennel waiting to hunt tonight. Haven't been hunting Chukars yet was waiting for it to cool off and it has now. Got this weekend to bird hunt and then a month of elk hunting.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    01 Nov 2010 07:28 PM
    Well I bred my Ginger dog to a Double linebred Missouri Slick Cajun male on Saturday. He's a stunning animal can't wait to see the pups.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    03 Nov 2010 10:41 AM
    Which one is Ginger?
    --
    03 Nov 2010 03:40 PM
    She is the little liver and white pup I offer you last year. but my daughter kept her she is out of Bones and is one heck of a dog. I bred her to a black and white male double line bred Missouri Slick Cajun and he is an outstanding bird dog to. Figured I'd let you know I did it and from the looks of thing I'll be doing it a little more often now that my wife just got a new female EP and is letting me breed dogs again. Drop me an email if your interested or for that matter any of you guys to. My new email is crazyasswhiteboy.hall@gmail.com
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    10 Nov 2010 04:34 PM
    I got one for you. I think that Hillbilly is leaving the building.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com