Free Shipping when you Spend $125 in our Store
Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login
Game Bird Hunts Store

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Training 5 month old pup and stumped.
Last Post 29 Oct 2010 03:53 PM by Hillbilly. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cowb0yUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 cowb0y
--
24 Oct 2010 05:41 PM

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum/website. I just stumbled across yall recently and had to see what this was all about. Currently I am attempting to train my spaniel mix pup to retrieve game birds in central Washington state. She retrieves a makeshift bumper that I made out of an old sock stuffed with cloth. But she doesnt want to retrieve the manufactured bumper that holds the bird wing. She'll take the wing off by throwing the bumper around, then return to me with the wing. 

I dont want her to try to disassymble the birds upon retrieve so not sure how to get her exposed to feathers/birds and bringing them back without the use of a bumper retrieve toy. 

Got any ideas??  

Thanks,

Jess

HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    24 Oct 2010 07:17 PM
    Use a frozen bird and try it out. Some dogs just like the real deal. Put the pup in your hall way and close the all the doors. Stand at the open end and give it a tose this way you have full control of the pup. I'd bet you a cold beer she brings it right back let her mouth it a little if she wants but if she holds it tight just craddle her and pull her flank down she will drop it in your hand. If you need more help just hollar I'll help just about any time. Good luck and I drink Keystone light lol.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    cowb0yUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:4 cowb0y
    --
    24 Oct 2010 11:10 PM

Outstanding response. I will definately try that. So, where do I get frozen birds from in Washington? 

P.S. Once I try this out, there'll be a keystone overnighted! 

Briarhill BrittanysUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:1 Briarhill Brittanys
    --
    25 Oct 2010 01:26 PM

Jess, I don't know about Washington, but here in my little corner of Missouri I take a whole bird and freeze it.  Can be a wild one, or out of the bird pen.  Also a good way to get them to hunt "dead", and find down birds.  Hope this helps.  Mark

www.briarhillbrittanys.com......."Finest in the Field"
    HillbillyUser is Offline Master Hunter Master Hunter Send Private Message Posts:706 Hillbilly
    --
    25 Oct 2010 04:15 PM
    Briarhill's right. Got to a feed store if you can't run out and kill 1. they will know where to find pigeons or quail. Just gona have to ring it's neck and freeze it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    --
    27 Oct 2010 11:04 PM
    Rite on. I think I can take care of that. So, working with a dead bird first is better than a live, taped wing bird? I am thinking about gettin some and placing them so the dog can snift them out, then I could get a shot or two in and wack a couple of birds for her to work with.
    Also, when I was workin with her and the bird wing, she tried to eat it. Not really the soft mouth I had seen before ( a baby robin fell out of a tree and she grabbed it but didnt kill it. I was stoked). Any tricks to get her from really chewing on the bird?

Thanks for the insight. This is my first bird dog training and I am enjoying figuring it out.
    freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    28 Oct 2010 10:29 PM
    Jess,
    A dead bird will be useful in the retrieve process. Keep your pup on a long line and under control during any live bird work to prevent them from catching them and developing bad habits. Granted, a live bird might help bring the "prey drive" up in a retrieve and might sharpen her up when it comes to retrieving. As for preventing her from chewing on the bird, keep her on the long line as stated before. Prompted the "fetch" command, let her go get it, and reel her in while being obnoxious about the "GOOD GIRL, ____" when she brings it back. Lots and lots of praise, and then take the bird/wing away. Make her feel special when she brings the bird/bumper back so that she is willing to bring it back and know that her reward is more you giving her lovin' than just the retrieve itself. She will start to work to please you instead of pleasing herself.

Before you just "get a shot or two in and whacking a couple", have you introduced her to guns? I would suggest picking up a few dog training books and some videos on how to introduce your spaniel pup to birds, guns, and general training. Follow a program, don't just "wing it" and hope for the best. As a dog owner (and hence a trainer,) you want to set up your little protégé up for success, not failure. I would get involved in a club or a group that can help you with hands-on in your area. A lot of people are willing to help, you just have to look for them.

Good luck with your pup,

Jessica
    Freefall GSP
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    --
    29 Oct 2010 03:53 PM
    Well it looks like Freefall beat me to it.
    Life's Short Play Hard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com