Pheasants Forever
Top Banner
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 2

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
Please Help
Last Post 05 Nov 2010 09:45 AM by freefallgsp. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
J. ArneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 J. Arne
--
01 Nov 2010 09:39 PM

Please help,

The 1st trip out, my lab scored 4 birds, and ran a winged one down. The 2nd trip, we where working on our 4th bird.  When he just stopped. He sat down and followed me everywhere.  I couldnt get him on a bird at all. He wouldnt leave my side, until we got back to the truck. I took out a couple of decoys and played fetch for a few minutes. He loved it. This was his first time hunting on a collar, the setting was on 1. Just the tone.

Is this normal for a younger lab? Or should I be worried? Is there a way to fix this? He isnt gun shy, everytime he see the shot gun pulled out, he goes crazy.

Thank you for your help,

John From Orting, Washington.

freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    02 Nov 2010 05:00 AM
    Did he react like this to the collar? Have you hunted him without a collar? If you haven't had him properly conditioned to use with a collar so he understands that it is a GOOD thing versus a "oops, I'm getting shocked/beeped -- dad's not happy with me!" the first time with it on. Some dogs are wrecked for life if you just take it out and put it on, and some get over having it on. I have one dog that I refuse to work with on a collar for hunting at all, he's collar wise.

Or, was this in relation to those OBNOXIOUS beepers? You are better off with a heavy-duty bell that's less of a pain to your ears and his. Many dogs, again, if not conditioned to the noise, never get over it; while some just figure it out. The best way I was explained for a beeper was to have me put on my dog's e-collar (wrist or carry it around by your head) and listen to the darn thing beep for a while. You'll figure out how much a pain in the butt it is. The time to help with this would be to just have the dog wear it doing fun things with it on. Bumpers, chasing planted birds, letting pigeons go with the dog wearing the beeper, eventually the need to find birds will take over and the collar will be a habit.

Good luck,
    Jessica
    Freefall GSP

Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    J. ArneUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 J. Arne
    --
    03 Nov 2010 09:31 PM

Thanks,

The first time we hunted, no collar. The only reason I put the collar on was because he kept going after birds. So thats the only time I used, we trained with it around the field. I am going to go back out next sunday without the collar and see what happens.

I think it was the heat. I was talking with other hunters, and they said it might be the heat.

John

freefallgspUser is Offline Pheasant Chick Pheasant Chick Send Private Message Posts:65 freefallgsp
    --
    05 Nov 2010 09:45 AM
    If you think it's the heat -- carry a water bottle with you for him with an electrolyte supplement. I would say leave the collar off if he does better with it. Some dogs just feel the need to shut down with it on (I have a dog that I don't bother putting one on because he honestly just doesn't need it). I would say... put the collar on, but DON'T turn it on/use it. See if you get the same reaction. If, while hunting, he shuts down again, take it off and see if it makes a difference.
    Home Of:

Suma Kiss of Kings MH

Hunter's Ridge Sinking the Bismarck MH
    Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"A good bird dog is only as good as your aim, as the proof is always in the bag." - Unknown
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com