Top Banner
Pheasants Forever
Register   Login

Harpole's Ad

Harpole's Main Ad 3

Pheasant Hunting Forums:

In case you are looking for the old hunting forums - they have been archived and moved to Archived Hunting Forums
crate/potty training
Last Post 06 Dec 2011 12:22 AM by Chris Larsen. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
newbirdhntrUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 newbirdhntr
--
24 Oct 2011 02:48 PM

I have a 7 week old yellow lab that I picked up last week (6 weeks old). The issue I am having is that when I put her in her kennel for the night she doesn't make it till I get up with her again. Here is my routine with her. I take water away between 7:30 & 8:00. She goes out at 11 p.m. and back into her kennel. I get up 2.5 - 3 hrs later and she has had an accident but she will go till 6 without another accident. I am confused as to how she can go longer after the first time out but can't make it the shorter amount of time. I have tried getting up a little earlier but she will pee when she sees me.

She is out most of the day playing with my other dog and the kids and has only had two accidents in the week I have had her. I am having my wife keep her in her kennel more during the day to help instill a sense of this is her place. I have read somewhere to put a little food in there so we are trying that too. I understand she is very young but I don't want her to get used to peeing in her kennel. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. She is doing very good on learning sit, come, leave it and fetch it up already so she is very trainable.

ggburkeUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:14 ggburke
    --
    25 Oct 2011 05:51 AM
    Are you blocking off the extra space in the kennel. You will never house brake the dog, if there too much room in it. She should be able to sit, stand and turn round that's it. As she grows you move the divider. If they can pee and get away from it they will never stop.
    newbirdhntrUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:2 newbirdhntr
    --
    25 Oct 2011 12:23 PM
    I don't have her blocked off from the rest of the crate but she just lays in the pee anyway. It doesn't seem to bother her. She did good last night...put her in crate at 11...took her out at 1:30...not "accidents" at 6 when I got up. We have restricted her water intake in the evenings and have picked up the water so she doesn't have free access to it. I am not sure what else I can do if anything.
    Chris LarsenUser is Offline Pheasant Egg Pheasant Egg Send Private Message Posts:13 Chris Larsen
    --
    06 Dec 2011 12:22 AM
    I would cut off water a little earlier. Once she starts making it, you can give it back. If you're furnace is running or you have a fireplace going and are worried about her getting to parched just give her a quick drink at 7:30 or 8 and I mean "A" drink. Let her drink a little out of a water bottle or something. Just enough to wet her mouth and thats it. Otherwise, cut her off at 6:30 or 7. Just keep backing it up a half hour until she makes it.

My dog never cared about laying in it's urine either. I know it's a pain now, but it gets better. My dog was horrific in the crate. Didn't give a rip about laying in his pee. But we kept taking him outside and rewarding him. He picked it up after a few weeks and at 3 months old he was completely trained. He's never had an issue since. Stay consistent and she will get it!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Register With GameBirdHunts.com Now

What are you waiting for?  Registration only takes a few minutes and it is completely free.  As a registered user you can set up your profile, make friends with other upland hunters, post on our hunting forums and more.  Click here to register with Gamebirdhunts.com

Already A Member?  Please Log In Now

Once you become a registered member this page will display your messages, notifications and updates from the site as well as your friends on Gamebirdhunts.com