Roasted Pheasant with Wild Rice
Prep Time: 40 minutes | Cooking Time: 1.5-2 hours | Servings: 4
This meal will tempt you while it roasts and fills your house with the warm, nutty scents of wild rice and pheasant.
NOTE: Stuffing mix is sufficient for 2 pheasants
Wash wild rice until the rinse water comes off clear.
Drop the wild rice into 4 cups of boiling water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not stir.
Saute' the onions and celery in 1/4 cup butter until translucent; add parsely and cook only until hot.
Combine wild rice, bread, sauted vegetables, sage and chicken stock. Lightly salt the inside of the bird, and fill the cavity of the bird (if desired). Tie with kitchen cord around legs and tail tightly.
- 1 whole 2.5 lb MacFarlane Pheasant
- 1 cup Long grain wild rice (makes 3 cups)
- 3 cups day old bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup Onions, sliced paper thin
- 1 1/2cup Chicken stock (broth) or 1 boullion cube dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup celery, diced and 2 tsp finely chopped parsley
- 1tsp. sage (or to taste)
Recipe submitted by: Executive Chef Rovert L. Gamble of the Janesville Country Club