Top Banner
Learn Taxidermy Online

Archived Forums

These forums are from the old GameBirdHunts.com website. They have been locked and are here simply for reference. We encourage you to use our new pheasant hunting forums to continue the great discussion on GameBirdHunts.com

Archived Pheasant Hunting Forum |
Archived Pheasant Hunting Forum |
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting Equipment
 New Pheasant Hunting Products For 06 Season
 EMT Spray From Trophy Animal Health Care
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gameburdhunts
Forum Admin

USA
805 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  13:47:44  Show Profile  Visit gameburdhunts's Homepage
EMT Spray, the "first Aid Kin in a bottle." EMT Spray, like EMT Gel, contains collagen protein that speeds healing. It reduces pain, itching, bleedign and protects the wound. It contains Bitrex, a bitter agent, to deter gitting and licking of wounds. The pump sprayer makes application clean and easy.

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/ph-101/new-hunting-products-06.asp

porknbeans

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  07:17:11  Show Profile  Visit porknbeans's Homepage
I took a look at this product, but chose to stay with the gel. I've bought the "liquid bandage" for my kids and it works pretty well, but I questioned how well the EMT spray would work with fur all around the wound. The gel is nice because it is thick and sticky to stay in place. Price wise, it was also more cost effective for me to go with the gel.

Go to Top of Page

ellensburgbirdhunt

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  23:08:41  Show Profile
I also will stay with the gel that gel works wonders becouse of how thich it is the sray i dont no i'll try it once and see...

.....good hunting....

dustin noyes ellensburg gamebird ranch
Go to Top of Page

Pheasant Wrangler
Happy Puppy

18 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  18:00:29  Show Profile
Does the gel have the bitter agent to keep the dog from licking? When ever my dog gets scratched up he seems to lick it all the time. Is this good for a dog to lick it cuts or bad?
Go to Top of Page

porknbeans

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  06:53:19  Show Profile  Visit porknbeans's Homepage
I'm no vet, but a dog licking it's wounds is it's way of cleaning the wound. With the amount of bacteria and such in our mouth, much less a dogs with what it does with it's tongue, I would have to say no it's not a good thing. I don't know if the gel has a bitter agent in it or not either, but my dog licked it a couple of times and doesn't any more when I put it on. I also reinforced the "no licking" by telling her no when I saw her making the motion to do it.
Go to Top of Page

ellensburgbirdhunt

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  15:59:46  Show Profile
i'm not sure if the gel has a bitter tast to it but the sray has bitrex witch is very bitter and heals wounds so your dog probably wont lick the sray i do like the gel for the fact you can cake it on and it keeps dirt and grass out but the more i read up on this spray it sounds pretty good i'll put a bottle in my dogs first aid kit.

...good hunting...

Go to Top of Page

gameburdhunts
Forum Admin

USA
805 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  06:42:06  Show Profile  Visit gameburdhunts's Homepage
Dustin bring up a good point... what else should you carry in your dogs first aid kit?

Do most of you carry a dog first aid kit?

There is nothing that can ruin a good pheasant hunting trip more then a dog getting injured. I have been carring some antibiotic ointment for cutt and a few asprin for my older dog who gets a bit sore. What else should I have in the bag? Do you actually carry some stitching tools etc?

Regards,

Jon B.
Go to Top of Page

ellensburgbirdhunt

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  22:17:17  Show Profile
gamebirdhunts matter of fact i do carry a first aid kit with me in the field one time i was doing a guided bird hunt and my dog remy went through a bobbed wire fence and cut the sheeth of is weewee and had to put the needle and thread to work so yes it comes in handy right when you dont think you'll ever need it. ...good hunting...

Go to Top of Page

porknbeans

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  06:42:20  Show Profile  Visit porknbeans's Homepage
I carry a first aid kit with me for the dog. I have aspirin, tweeazers, needle, thread, gauze pads, triple antibiotic ointment, EMT gel, vet wrap and a couple of other things that I can't remember. I picked up a basic kit from Foster and Smith when I was up at their warehouse store last year and have just added a couple of items. I have used it several times and highly recommend one for anybody that hunts with a dog.

Go to Top of Page

gameburdhunts
Forum Admin

USA
805 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  22:27:33  Show Profile  Visit gameburdhunts's Homepage
Dustin,

What type of thread do you carry? Is it just standard thread or do they make somthing special for stitches and where do you get it? My dog went throug a fence on a weekend in Iowa and we were in the middle of no where.

I am not sure if I could do the stitch thing however.

Regards,

Jon B.
Go to Top of Page

Baretta

514 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  18:48:56  Show Profile  Visit Baretta's Homepage
I carry a first aid kit for my dog and one for me, in my vest every time I go in the field. I have forcips ( Pulling quills) and scissors, tape, guaze pads,alcohol, antibiotic salve and emt gel. I also picked a tube of super glue which can be used to close a wound very well. Clean the area with alcohol, hold the wound closed and apply the glue.
Go to Top of Page

breezefift7
Pheasant Egg

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  19:30:41  Show Profile
Yeah, just make sure that you don't get the super glue on your fingers when you are trying to hold the skin together.
You will find yourself stuck to the wound and make it even worse.
It is very easy to do. Just a word of caution.

Breezefift7
Go to Top of Page

phird05
Hunting Legend

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  08:22:19  Show Profile  Visit phird05's Homepage
Try a skin stapler as well. I find it easier than having all the thread, and tying etc. It's one tool operated with one hand and you can use the other hand to hold the skin together. It's easier than you'd think. You can use it on cuts that are through all the dermal layers. I used mine on a cut my dog suffered a laceration on his face. Just be sure to follow up with antibiotics, as you may not get the wound clean enough in the field.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Archived Pheasant Hunting Forum | © GameBirdHunts.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000